Friday, March 20, 2009

Adapt

I'm posting this from Austin, TX... where I've spent the past 2 years prior to my mother's sudden illness. I'm enjoying the festivities of SXSW for the weekend and the great weather along with it.

Early last week we interviewed with social security (disability). Unfortunately, my mother was turned down due to not having enough credits to qualify for disability benefits (she has mostly been a homemaker until she began working last year). I'd like to push for an attorney to appeal the decision... she has worked and contributed her earnings to social security throughout her lifetime, so you never know.

My mother does have private insurance. However, the reality is, they don't cover everything 100% and with as long as she's been in the hospital (today is March 20th, she was admitted Dec. 24th...) and with as many physicians she's seen, surgical procedures... the medical equipment she will need once she is released (wheelchair, prosthesis, etc.)... it adds up and we're beginning to fear she's going to max out soon. Of course, it's 5pm on Friday and now I'm remembering I was supposed to call her insurance to find out her running total of costs! Anyway, what I'm getting at is money is suddenly seeming to become a very real issue. (Thank you, by the way, so very much to those of you who have contributed to her medical fund... you have our warmest thanks and gratitude). Fortunately, Esy spoke with a former social worker recently and has tapped into a long list of resources available for scenarios like this. There is hope; it's just going to require patience and diligence.

Shortly after the disability interview, my mother developed shingles which are commonly stress-induced. Shingles have set her back some on progress. She also has a scab on her right leg that has not healed and her surgeon may decide to graft skin on that area again. This will add some recovery time, pushing back further the date to move on to rehab.

Last week, a very special visitor came to meet with my mom- Jennifer Griffin, who is also a sepsis survivor and quadruple amputee. Her story is quite inspiring and I'm so happy to have found her. She was very sweet and gave my mom a slip on hand tool that holds a pen so she can write. Just the day before, Dee was terribly upset because she could no longer write the way she used to. Since then she's been practicing her penmanship, which is also a part of her physical therapy.

I helped my mom brush her teeth... she's been practicing and can hold the toothbrush with her thumb. She did pretty well but still required a little help. I told her not to worry, that she would once again be able to do the things she has done before; it will just take some time as she'll have to find new ways of doing them.

I would just like to encourage any family and friends who have not been able to visit lately, that it is perfectly safe for you to stop by and see her, shingles or not. Children who have either already had chicken pox or been vaccinated (over the age of 2) are not at risk. Just be sure to practice good hand hygiene (wash hands and wear gloves). You may also want to wear a gown if your clothes come into contact with her bed linens. Really the only way you would contract it is if you touch her open sores... these are just some precautionaries to follow, and if it makes you feel any better they're already beginning to clear up.

Since I'm in Austin this weekend, please tell her you're stopping by on my behalf. No pressure. :)

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the fight, Delia. After my amputations it took me months to learn to write again. But eventually the grip of your thumb gets strong enough and the old penmanship starts to come through. Keep working at it and you will do great.

    --Andy Marso

    ReplyDelete